Sunday, March 6, 2011

[not a fan of BYU, but i am a fan of their Honor Code]

All this ruckus going on about Brandon Davies being suspended because he violated BYU's honor code is giving me a headache. I am not a fan of BYU (okay BYU rugby is my only exception because of family on the team), never have been, especially being a Ute fan my whole life (not just within the past few years)...but I am a fan of BYU's honor code. I love it. It's everything the gospel stands for. As athletes/students accept and take on scholarships and/or enroll there, they automatically become an ambasador of the church.....or BYU, so they know very well what they're getting themselves into. I'm not going to sit here and bang on Davies for his mistakes because I am far from perfect but he knew what he was doing.......and that's on him. He's the one that'll pay for the consequences, not the rest of the world that has everything to say about the church and WHY they've suspended him for his actions. I wish someone would interview me, I'd say, "EEEEHHHHH JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE ALREADY..." hahaha Just like Harvey Unga and a whole 'lot of people that have broken the honor code before, and I highly doubt Davies will be the last I'm grateful that BYU is not backing down, over seeing this, or even trying to throw it under the bus until basketball season's over. I'm ashamed of some fans and members questioning why BYU couldn't wait this suspension until the season was done.....really?? c'mon now...
Maybe we seem prideful as a church and too 'old fashioned' for the 21st century.....but, like President Hinckley said, "....we are a peculiar people...."  and situations like this... standing up for what we've always believed is what continues to make us a peculiar people. I wouldn't have BYU or the church have it any other way.  So kudos to you Cougirls!!! ;) haha j/k I commend the leaders for standing up for the honor code and for our beliefs.
I love the way Vai Sikahema put it in this interview. As much as it may hurt the basketball team, it's good to know that winning games isn't the top priority at BYU...and that's great, even though the BYU vs. UTAH football game shows different. lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment